Adam Lanza, the man the Associated Press has identified as the gunman in Friday’s mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school, had a checkered past and a personality disorder, according to reports that cite law enforcement officials.
The brother, Ryan Lanza, 24, told authorities that Adam Lanza, 20, is autistic or has a “personality disorder,” ABC News reported. A law enforcement official told Fox that Adam Lanza had a “checkered past” and was a “troubled youth,” The Daily Beast reported. CNN reported Adam Lanza had no criminal record.
At least 27 people, including 20 children, died in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. Authorities said that the shooting appears to have been carried out by a lone gunman, who died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to AP.
- Report: CT Shooting Suspect Had Personality Disorder And Autism; Girlfriend Missing (mediaite.com)
- Shooter’s Brother, Per ABC News: Shooter Was ‘Autistic’, Specifically Suffered From Asperberger Syndrome (patdollard.com)
- How the Internet Got the Wrong Lanza (theatlanticwire.com)
- Connecticut shooting suspect was honors student (miamiherald.com)
- Adam Lanza Kills Mother Nancy Lanza Then Begins Murderous Rampage At Sandy Hook Elementary (americanlivewire.com)
- Adam Lanza: What We Think We Know About the Apparent Newtown Shooter (theatlanticwire.com)
- ‘Burn in hell’: Neighbors, classmates of Adam Lanza speak out; ‘I can’t say I’m surprised’ (twitchy.com)